Primary materials: Plastic from gallon water bottle, braided thread, markers.
I haven’t counted how many bottles it takes to make a plastic mask. But I know a single project can run through a lot fairly quickly, especially if it needs multiples of a specific part of the bottle (handles, for example).
Would it be possible to make something interesting if I limited myself to just one bottle? This seemed like a good challenge.
Cutting out the eyes correctly was the most difficult part of this. It’s very easy to cut a sheet of plastic from the edge with scissors. It’s a lot harder to make voids with a knife, and with the one-bottle limitation on this project, there were no do overs.
For the facial coloring, I copied what I had done for the blue claws of Eye Got This. Certain plastic sections I cut from the bottle naturally formed a crown-like shape, so I decided this was a good time to test out some metallic markers.
This mask uses about 95 percent of the water bottle. The only parts I didn’t use were small trimmings and the thick plastic ridges that are on the bottom of the bottle. It’s very light weight and quite comfortable to wear.